Friday, November 28, 2008

Knotty Cheese Rolls

So I guess I lied a little bit about not trying new recipes. I have two new ones that I tried, but in my defense they aren't meals.

I got this recipe from my best friend over at Teaspoons and Tablecloths. You'll find the link below.

Knotty Cheese Rolls
1 packet active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbl sugar
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, well-beaten
1/2 cup grated cheese (whatever kind you like)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Pour yeast, warm water, and sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Give it a stir and let it sit for a while so the yeast activates. In a separate bowl (or glass measuring cup) mix melted butter, milk, salt, egg, and cheese (reserve a little cheese to sprinkle on the tops of the rolls). Pour milk mixture into yeast mixture and stir. Add flour on cup at a time until the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl* Knead in bowl 5-7 times. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.

After letting the dough rise, shape the rolls. Flour your hands. Take a ball of dough and roll it between your hands until it forms a long rope (14-16in long). Fold the rope in half and twist it four or five times, keeping your finger in the loop at the end. Fold in half once more and place the loose ends through the loop. Repeat this process until you have no more dough. Place rolls on a baking sheet and let rise another 30 minutes. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

These were absolutely awesome and very easy to make. As I have said time and time again, I am not a baker--and I proved this to you with my bread bowls that I made a couple of weeks ago--but these rolls were an absolute hit with my family and friends. I have made this recipe 3 times in the last 3 days and everybody absolutely LOVED them. My husband's first reaction when he bit into them was "HOLY CRAP!" and I gave some to my friend Cody last night and he was thinking to himself, "I've had these before." then he bit into them and WABAM! He absolutely LOVED them. Yay! Maybe I'll be a baker afterall.

Grading scale: Definitely A+++++++++! :-D

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin