Saturday, January 3, 2009

Homemade Pizza

I got this pizza dough and pizza sauce recipe from MyKitchenCafe. She has another pizza dough recipe on there that I will try next time. To view all of her pizza dough recipes go here. I doubled the pizza dough recipe so I can made two more pizzas tomorrow night when my brother comes over.

This was way easy to make and so good. Emi wasn't particularly looking forward to pizza tonight because he claims he doesn't like homemade pizza. Well, looks like I've squashed another one of Emi's prejudices.

Slow-Rize Pizza Dough
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 1/3 cup water
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt.

[The words of Melanie from MyKitchenCafe] The beauty about making this recipe the night before is you can just throw all the ingredients together cold (no warming the water) and stick it covered in the refrigerator. That is all I do - mix the dough to the desired consistency (I like my dough pretty soft) and really try not to overflour it and then place it in a greased bowl covered with saran wrap in the refrigerator. Be sure to take it out of the refrigerator a few hours before you make the pizza so the dough has time to warm and relax. This recipe makes 2 good-sized pizzas. I understand the term "good-size" is very subjective...but just know it feeds our family of two adults and two children and we eat a lot of pizza.

Homemade Pizza Sauce
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
Oregano
Garlic powder
Italian seasoning
Crushed red pepper (optional)

[Melanie from MyKitchenCafe] Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until desired consistency. I leave mine slightly chunky. On the seasonings, I just sprinkle them in to taste. If I use crushed red pepper, I only use a few flakes because my kids don't like spicy things, but it definitely adds a nice kick to the sauce to use it. I also substitute for whatever I don't have: basil leaves for oregano, garlic salt for garlic powder, etc. This recipe is open to interpretation. Use what you like and it will be delicious.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin