Sunday, February 8, 2009

Slow Cooker Italian Beef

After a week of some pretty intensive recipes, I decided that yesterday I was going to sit back and let my crock pot do the work for me. I did make some french bread to eat this on so I guess I didn't really take a break. You can find the french bread recipe here (or right below this post).
This was a good meal, but the recipe is suited for a bigger roast than I could find and more food than Emi and I could eat before it went bad! :-D So I altered the recipe to reflect a 2 lb roast. It was however, a little too salty for my taste, but Emi loved it! It was very tender and easy to eat. I followed the recipe exactly and only added some mushrooms about 30 minutes before it was done and I also added some sauteed green bell peppers. Yum!
(Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, I am still waiting on new batteries for my new camera! If you want to see a good representation of these yummy sandwiches, check out the link!)

Here is the unaltered recipe for a 5 lb chuck roast.

Slow Cooker Italian Beef
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix (such as Good Seasons brand)
1 (5 pound) chuck roast

Combine water and beef broth with salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix. Whisk to combine.

Place roast in slow cooker, and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat. Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours. When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork (I did this step about 45 minutes before eating so the shredded meat had time to absorb more of the juices in the crockpot). Serve on crusty rolls with cheese, if desired.

2 comments:

Maria said...

that's so funny! I had the same recipe on my list for this week. Thanks for your blog. It's fun to read it and I get great ideas for dinners.

Netts Nook said...

Your pics are great thanks for sharing you recipe can't wait to try.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin